Thursday, July 5, 2012

CHONCO Nicaragua



You'd think that after 4 years of trying to learn Spanish that I'd know something, but oh geez when I go to a place like Nicaragua I'm reminded of how much I suck at Spanish. I have to believe there is hope for me yet, but up until this point I haven't had much luck. I did have a real proud Spanish speaking moment though. I've been in Nicaragua this past week helping to lead our high school mission team, and we were out shopping on Friday, and a little lost. We were looking for a little shop called Rosanna's, so I stopped a guy to ask for directions. “Hola, Como estas? Donde esta Rosanna's?”


Now just encase you start to feel a little proud of me too for being so bold, please understand how completely pathetic that is. Why am I proud of that!? I learn that in Chapter 1 Spanish 1. I digress. Maybe there is no hope for me.... oh well. Next attempt: Arabic.

Out in the country-side of rural Nicaragua there are rows of green and sometimes smoky Volcanoes that make up the skyline. We spent the week in Chunco a little farming village putting on a day-camp field day kind of extravaganza called the CHONCO OLYMPICS. It was a marvelous success. Throughout, the week we played baseball, 100 meter race, a 1 mile race, that game where you see how far you can throw a big heavy rock, basketball, soccer, sumo wrestling and a few relays.

At the end of the week we shared the gospel with the kids and saw about 25 people total make a decision towards Christ. It was a very powerful moment. It's just amazing the way God uses all of us. Though normal days, and through out-of-the-ordinary experiences he has placed us directly in the midst of the people that he's chosen us to minister to. Sometimes I'm so caught up into my own mind that I lose track of God working right around me.
Volcano Smoke

In that moment with those Nicaraguan kids, it was certainly hard to ignore though.
Here are some pictures from the week:






No comments:

Post a Comment