Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Chai Recipe and the 3rd/4th Day Adventures- A journey to South Asia


[This door took 10 minutes to open on the first day, but I perfected into an art...haha]

Shirley’s Indian Chai

What you need:
Water - you'll need 1 cup of water per serving minus one...if that makes sense...example, 3 servings = 2 cups of water; 10 servings = 9 cups of water, 7 servings = 6 cups of water, etc.
Sugar - 2 tsp per serving
Tea - 1/2 tsp per serving
Milk - enough until it's the color of chai (you really will just have to eyeball it)

Steps:
1. Add water to a pan on the stove
2. Add sugar
3. Heat to boiling
4. Add tea and continue boiling for exactly 2 minutes
5. Remove from heat and let steep for another 2 minutes
6. Add milk
7. Strain and serve

Note: If you'd like to make the tea for later, strain immediately after steeping and set aside. Reheat and add milk just before serving.

And there is the tea recipe, in case you wanted it.

On Thursday and Friday we also spent our days at Anugraha Mane. The more time we spent with them, the more comfortable we became. Manju and Nelakanta continued to completely obliterate us in chess.

[Brent singing with Nelakanta]

Padma was the neighbor girl I had met before across from Anugraha mane. She saw that we were out on the porch playing chess, and I called to the other porch across the narrow alley and asked her if she know how to play. I offered to teach her, but when a found another chess board it was missing a piece or two, so she quickly agreed that it would be better if we just talked. I spent the whole afternoon sitting with Padma. We had conversation about school, marriage and her sisters. She told me that her religion was Jain, and that she would hoping to have an arranged marriage in time for her and her sister to have a double wedding in December.

[Padma and I]

On Friday morning we were surprised with a breakfast Pancakes, Bacon, and Coffee. We ate well. Its amazing how quickly we can miss the comforts of home cooking.

After breakfast I tried my best to learn some Kannada. This is what I got:

Donyavada- Thank you

Namsaskara- Hello

Chanaagee Iddira?- How are you?

Chanagee Iddini.- I am fine.

Ootta Aita?- Is your meal finished?

-Iiatoo (eye-a-2)- It's finished.

Salaam Welicom- A Muslim Greeting

I always find it really fun to learn some of the language. I enjoy watching the people light up when they see us try.

Tried Papaya for the first time. It’s like unsweet creamy salty Watermelon, not awesome, but glad I tried it. Rebecca hates it, and tells me it smells like poop before I bite into it. (Thank you Rebecca) Mango’s here are the best I have ever had.

Sherrene stayed with us girls at the guest house. She was there in India for a separate purpose, and we quickly grew to love her like a sister. We'd come home exhausted from a busy day, and she would say with excited eyes, "Tell me everything". So we had fun staying up a little later spreading Rebecca's honey roasted peanut butter on cinnamon graham cracker as we talked about our day. Sherrene decided to take us to Girls Collection and I bought a really beautiful table runner, and a blue shirt.

[Sherrene doing her thing.]

Grace loves the animals. Even the dogs. There is one really hideous one though that makes me want to puke. It has a horrible knarly tail. She has taken on the task of learning the different breeds of bovine creatures that wander the streets. So far we had figured out Water Buffalo, Ox, and Cow. Carlie likes to sing the Veggie Tales, “Everybody’s got a Water Buffalo” song whenever we see one.

Also, a lot of the things we see remind us of Aladdin. (even though I think Aladdin is a Arab thing... not Indian) So every now and then one of us burst out in song singing the Magic Carpet song, “A Whole New World”.


Went to a bible study on Thursday or Friday night. I could not stay awake to save my life. It was miserable trying so hard to listen, but literally dozing off on 10 second intervels. I would just wake up long enough to see Brent giggling at me and passing Nacho Libre notes to Brock.

“Get that corn out of my face!”- Nacho Libre

We were all still too jet lagged to take an evening bible study seriously. Regrettably, even my best attempt to show respect to the bible study leader was an epic fail because I was asleep for most of it.

So then we went home and slept... the end of the 4th day.

[As Brock would say, "That lady is like, I am a women, and I am carrying water on my head."]

No comments:

Post a Comment